It’s almost time for the 4th of July! Below are some tips from The Cincinnati Insurance Companies‘ blog on how to plan a safe Fourth of July celebration.
- Even if you can buy fireworks in a store, make sure that it’s legal in your state to set them off.
- While setting fireworks off, keep a bucket of water or hose handy in case the grass or other areas catch on fire.
- After using fireworks, make sure to completely put out any embers by placing in water to avoid any unexpected fires.
- Do not allow young children to light fireworks; even sparklers should be handled only by older children. Sparklers can reach a temperature of 2,000° Fahrenheit.
- If you have consumed any amount of alcohol, refrain from using fireworks. This could be a deadly combination!
- Make sure to keep your animals away from the action. Some animals panic at the sound of fireworks or other loud noises and could harm people.
The perfect ending to any gathering is a safe trip home for all of your guests. Your responsibilities as host do not end when your guests walk out the door. If an intoxicated guest injures someone on the way home, you could be held legally responsible. Some tips for a safer party:
- Never serve alcohol to someone under the legal drinking age, and never ask children to serve alcohol at parties.
- Don’t let guests mix their own drinks. Choosing a reliable “bartender” will help you keep track of the size and number of drinks that guests consume.
- If a guest appears to be drinking a bit much, offer to freshen his or her drink with a virgin version.
- Do not push drinks! Drinking at a party is not mandatory for having a good time.
- Have fun – but not too much fun. To be a good host, you should stay within your limits in order to make sure your guests stay within theirs.
- Close the bar 90 minutes before the party ends and serve a great dessert treat with coffee. Remember, only time sobers someone who has been drinking.
- If, despite your efforts, some of your guests have had too much to drink, drive them home, arrange for a ride with another guest who hasn’t been drinking, call a taxi, or invite them to stay over.
Keep this information in mind as you sit back, enjoy July 4 and the freedom of our country by staying safe and having fun with your loved ones.
About Overmyer Hall Associates
Overmyer Hall Associates is one of the fastest growing agencies in the country, quickly becoming one of the largest property and casualty insurance agencies in Central Ohio. Overmyer Hall Associates provides clients with insurance and risk management, specializing in Business Insurance, Surety Bonding, and Home & Auto Insurance. Since its founding in 2011, the firm has been awarded Columbus Business First’s "Fast 50" and "Best Places to Work" awards, the IIABA’s “Best Practices Agency” recognition, Columbus CEO Magazine’s “Best Insurance Broker” and the Columbus Young Professionals Club’s “Wonderful Workplace for Young Professionals” award. www.oh-ins.com