While estimates vary widely, it was expected that drone sales over the holiday season would top 1 million. Did you get a new drone? Do you know if it’s covered by your insurance?  We did an informal poll of our insurance companies and they all came back and said that they would cover drones as long as they were:

  1. Used for recreational/personal use  (no business use)
  2. Properly registered with the FAA (if required) and,
  3. Flown using FAA guidelines.

The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) requires all drones that weigh between .55 and 55 pounds be registered online. There is a $5 fee. Drones over 55 pounds have to be registered through the mail.

FAA Guidelines for the operation of drones are:

  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Also, any drone required to be registered, but be labeled with your registration number.

Follow these guidelines and your drone itself and any damage it might cause should be covered under your homeowners insurance. If you aren’t sure, call us to discuss.

About Overmyer Hall Associates

Overmyer Hall Associates is one of the fastest growing agencies in the country, quickly becoming one of the largest property and casualty insurance agencies in Central Ohio. Overmyer Hall Associates provides clients with insurance and risk management, specializing in Business Insurance, Surety Bonding, and Home & Auto Insurance. Since its founding in 2011, the firm has been awarded Columbus Business First’s "Fast 50" and "Best Places to Work" awards, the IIABA’s “Best Practices Agency” recognition, Columbus CEO Magazine’s “Best Insurance Broker” and the Columbus Young Professionals Club’s “Wonderful Workplace for Young Professionals” award. www.oh-ins.com